Mr. Knickerbocker is is a research engineer and co-director of the Real-Time Analytics in Transportation (REACTOR) Laboratory. He works primarily in the areas of traffic operations, maintenance, and safety, including data analytics, data visualization, and big data management. He assists in the management and support for several research projects for the Iowa Department of Transportation, Minnesota Department of Transportation, Midwest Transportation Center, Strategic Highway Research Program, and the Federal Highway Administration through collaboration with the Center for Transportation Research and Education.
- MS, Civil Engineering, Iowa State University, 2012
- BS, Missouri University of Science and Technology, 2011
- Research Engineer, Center for Transportation Research and Education, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, 2012–present
- Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2011–2012
Professional Activities and Certifications
- Professional Engineer, IA (No 23147)
- Member, TRB Committee on Traffic Control Devices (ACP55) and Committee on Visualization in Transportation (AED80)
- Co-Chair of the WZDx Specification Update Subgroup under the Work Zone Data Working Group
Selected Research Projects
- Iowa Work Zone Data Hub, Iowa DOT, 2019–present
- Developing a Research Grade Work Zone Data Hub, Iowa DOT, 2018–2020
- Improved Work Zone Data Feed, Iowa DOT, 2018–present
- Smart Arrow Board Evaluation Supporting Iowa DOTs QPL, Iowa DOT, 2020–present
- Iowa DOT Riverine Database (RIDB), Iowa DOT, 2020–present
- Developing an Architecture to Integrate Safety, Mobility and Traffic Data. Iowa DOT, 2019–2021
- Pikalert CAV Demonstration, Iowa DOT, 2019–2021
- Evaluation of Road Weather Messages on DMS Based on Roadside Pavement Sensors, MnDOT, 2020–present
- Evaluation of Iowa Truck Parking Information and Management System, Iowa DOT, 2018–present
- Iowa DOT Office of Maintenance Winter Operations Decision Support Tools, Iowa DOT, 2017–2020
- Research Projects for Iowa DOT Office of Transportation Operations, 2014–present
- Technical Support for the Roadway Information Database, 2015–present
- Evaluating All-Weather Pavement Marking and Lab Methods to Simulate Field Exposure, Illinois DOT, 2012–2019
- Iowa DOT Traffic Operations Open Data Service, Iowa DOT, 2016–2018
- Data Standards for Connected Autonomous Vehicles, Iowa DOT, 2017–2018
- Analysis of Dynamic Advisory Messaging –Phase II, Iowa DOT, 2015–2018
- Performance based Operations Assessment of Adaptive Traffic Signal Control, Iowa DOT, 2015–2018
- Evaluation of Rural Intersection Treatment, Iowa DOT, Iowa DOT, 2016–2018
- Field Measurement on the Effect of Temporary Rumble Strips in Work Zone Flagging Operations, Iowa DOT, 2014 –2017
- Evaluating ICWS systems in Minnesota, MnDOT, 2014–2017
- Evaluation of Temporary Rumble Strips in Work Zones, Iowa DOT, 2015–2017
- Evaluation of Opportunities and Challenges of Using INRIX Data for Real-time Performance Monitoring and Historical Trend Assessment, Nebraska DOR, 2016–2017
- SHRP2 Implementation Assistance Program, HDR, 2016–2017
- Evaluation of Pavement Markings on Challenging Surfaces, MnDOT, 2013–2016
- SHRP2 S04A Roadway Information Database Development and Technical Coordination and Quality Assurance of the Mobile Data Collection Project (S04B), SHRP2, 2013–2015
- SHRP2 S04A Roadway Information Database Supplemental Data, SHRP2, 2013–2015
- Evaluation of the TAPCO Sequential Dynamic Curve Warning System, SAIC, 2012–2015
- Evaluation of Truck and Agricultural Vehicle Behavior at Reduced Conflict Intersections, MnDOT, 2015
- Iowa Traffic Safety Data Service (ITSDS),SICL for Intersections, Iowa Governors Traffic Safety Bureau, Iowa DOT, 2013–2015
- Iowa Local Road Safety Plans, Iowa DOT, Sub-contractor to Kimley-Horn, 2014
- Systemic Safety Improvement Risk Factor Evaluation and Countermeasure Summary, Mid-America Transportation Center and US DOT RITA, 2013–2014
- US Road Assessment Program (usRAP),AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, 2013–2014
- Rural Traffic Calming in Iowa Communities, IHRB, 2012
- Adu-Gyamfi, Y., Sharma, A., Knickerbocker, S., Hawkins, N., and Jackson, M. A Comprehensive Data Driven Evaluation of Wide Area Probe Data: Opportunities and Challenges. Proc., Transportation Research Board 95th Annual Meeting Compendium of Papers, Washington, DC, January 10–14.
- Adu-Gyamfi, Y., Sharma, A., Knickerbocker, S., Hawkins, N., and Jackson, M. 2015. Reliability of Probe Sensor Data for Detecting Congestion Trends. , IEEE 18th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Canary Islands, Spain, September 15–18.
- Hallmark, S., Knickerbocker, S., and Hawkins, N. 2013. Evaluation of Low Cost Traffic Calming for Rural Communities – Phase II. Midwest Transportation Consortium, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Dong, J., Houchin, A., Shafieirad, N., Lu, C., Hawkins, N., and Knickerbocker, S. 2015. VISSIM Calibration for Urban Freeways.Center for Transportation Research and Education, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Smadi, O., Hawkins, N., Hallmark, S., and Knickerbocker, S. 2013. Evaluation of the TAPCO Sequential Dynamic Curve Warning System. Federal Highway Administration, Washington, DC.