Mr. Skylar Knickerbocker is a researcher and co-director of the Real-Time Analytics in Transportation (REACTOR) Laboratory. He works primarily in the areas of traffic operations, maintenance, and safety, including data analytics, data visualization, and big data management. He assists in the management and support for several research projects for the Iowa Department of Transportation, Minnesota Department of Transportation, Strategic Highway Research Program, and the Federal Highway Administration through collaboration with the Center for Transportation Research and Education.
- MS, Civil Engineering, Iowa State University, 2012
- BS, Missouri University of Science and Technology, 2011
- Professional Engineer (PE) License, State of Iowa (No. 23147)
- Research Scientist, Center for Transportation Research and Education, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, 2012–present
- Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2011–2012
- Knickerbocker, S., A. Sassani, and Z. Hans. 2021. Evaluation of Road Weather Messages on DMS Based on Roadside Pavement Sensors, MN 2021-25. Minnesota Department of Transportation, St. Paul, MN.
- Knickerbocker, S., S. Bhagat, Z. Hans, and A. Sharma. 2021. Developing an Architecture to Integrate Safety, Mobility and Traffic Data, InTrans Project 18-676. Iowa Department of Transportation, Ames, IA.
- Knickerbocker, S., V. Ravichandra-Mouli, N. Hawkins, and A. Sharma. 2020. Developing a Research-Grade Iowa Work Zone Database, InTrans Project 18-675. Iowa Department of Transportation, Ames, IA.
- Venkatachalapathy, A., A. Sharma, S. Knickerbocker, and N. Hawkins. 2020. A Rubric-Driven Evaluation of Open Data Portals and Their Data in Transportation. Journal of Big Data Analytics in Transportation, Vol. 2, No. 2.
- Huang, T., S. Knickerbocker, A. Sharma, and N. Hawkins. 2018. Implementing Big Data Quality Assurance with Visualization Tools. , Transportation Research Board 97th Annual Meeting Compendium of Papers, Washington, DC, January 7–11.
- Member, TRB Committee on Traffic Control Devices (ACP55) and Committee on Visualization in Transportation (AED80)
- Co-Chair of the WZDx Specification Update Subgroup under the Work Zone Data Working Group